- Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Johan Antonissen
Subject
Date
List pgsql-novice

hello!

I’m trying to learn django using this book.

It gives a great low-level tutorial for deploying djang on using cookiecutter.

However when I try to deploy django and connect to my postgres server postgres gives me a permission error:

python manage.py sqlcreate | sudo -u postgres psql -U postgres

results to:

Could not change directory ... permission denied CREATE ROLE CREATE DATABASE GRANT

The error arises on the part after | I’ve found out. My error is therefore a postgres permission error rather than a django error I think.

I’ve found numerous people that are also facing permission errors when using postgres but these solutions have however not helped me understand and fix the error.

I’m running Fedora and systemctl and pg_isready shows everything should be working correctly.

Should I just add the user postgres to my username group to fix this error ? Or does that create a security problem ?

This should be a fairly common error, but can anyone tell me why this is occuring ?

Thank you in advance!

Johan