Re: Postgresql.conf file from like 7.x to 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tory M Blue
Subject Re: Postgresql.conf file from like 7.x to 9.2
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas@optionshouse.com> wrote:
On 04/10/2013 04:25 PM, Tory M Blue wrote:

Is there an easy/clean way to adapt my old config file to the new stuff,
I'm not sure what all has changed, so wondering if I just have to go
line by line and somehow consolidate old to new, area there any tools or
mechanism to do so?

Ehhh, at that point, it's probably best to just start over. we took the annotated postgresql.conf and reevaluated each setting and compared it to similar/same settings in our old config. Then we made a file of *just* the stuff we changed, and made that the postgresql.conf, and keep the annotated version around as defaults.conf to use as a reference. That makes it a lot easier to copy between versions or incorporate new/modified settings.

Of course, all this will probably be moot when 9.3 comes out, as I believe it has the ability to include configuration fragments. Probably another good opportunity to clean up your configs.

We jumped from 8.2 to 9.1 in a single upgrade, so while not quite as wide as going from 7.x to 9.2, you could probably benefit from a reeval.

The fundamental settings are pretty much the same, so far as I know. Settings we always change:

shared_buffers
work_mem
maintenance_work_mem
default_statistics_target
effective_cache_size
random_page_cost
archive_mode
archive_command
archive_timeout
log_checkpoints
log_min_duration_statement

Settings we usually tweak:

autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor
autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor
autovacuum_freeze_max_age

Settings that are new, and could assist in setting up streaming or backups:

wal_level
max_wal_senders

People are getting more and more vocal about increasing cpu_tuple_cost, as the default is apparently too low in practice.

Everything else? Salt to taste.

--
Shaun Thomas

Thanks Shaun

Ya I actually didn't upgrade from 7 to 9 in one fell swoop, I've actually been pretty good at staying up with the releases (thanks to slon), but I realized the other day when i rolled a new 9.2.4 rpm that I just keep using my old postgres config. Now I'm sure we modified it somewhat in 8, but that was probably the last time. So a performance tuning and config file cleansing is in order :)

Thanks again!
Tory