Re: BUG #16006: Update queries fail on a table having any policy witha function that takes a whole-row var as arg - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Vinay Banakar
Subject Re: BUG #16006: Update queries fail on a table having any policy witha function that takes a whole-row var as arg
Date
In response to Re: BUG #16006: Update queries fail on a table having any policy with a function that takes a whole-row var as arg  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Right, I might as well have mistaken as it was quite sometime ago.
Sorry for the confusion.

is checked in. However, do you suggest I build pg from this master branch for my bench marking (benchmarking pg with a particular
dataset) or should I wait until the next STABLE release is created (if so do you have any information on when the next one will be released)?
I will be running this on Ubuntu 16.04 so hope that does not have any
implications.

Thanks
Vinay

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019, 9:59 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Vinay Banakar <vinay.s.banakar@gmail.com> writes:
> Thank you for finding the root cause, I just checked on 9.15.17 and it is
> still failing here also.
> But I distinctly remember it working earlier, not sure which version of pg
> (at least <9.5.16) though as I have lost that earlier setup.

Oh!  I misread your report as being that it worked on 9.5.x and failed
on 9.6.x.  If it really did work on some earlier 9.5.x version, then
we must've busted it with a patch ... but what?  That bizarre code in
ExecEvalWholeRowVar is much older than 9.5 (looks like it dates to
8e617e29a), and the mistake proper goes back to the introduction of
WITH CHECK OPTION in 9.4 (4cbe3ac3e).  I'm not seeing any other
moving parts here.

                        regards, tom lane