Re: Status of FDW pushdowns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shigeru Hanada
Subject Re: Status of FDW pushdowns
Date
Re: Status of FDW pushdowns  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Merlin,

2013/11/22 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Shigeru Hanada
> <shigeru.hanada@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> [ shrug... ]  So use dblink.  For better or worse, the FDW stuff is
>>> following the SQL standard's SQL/MED design, which does not do it
>>> like that.
>>
>> Pass-through mode mentioned in SQL/MED standard might be what he wants.
>
> happen to have a link handy?

SQL/MED standard doesn't say much about PASS THROUGH mode, especially
about interaction between client.  Besides it, I think it would be
nice to allow arbitrary FDW as backend of dblink interface like this:

postgres=> SELECT dblink_connect('con1', 'server name of an FDW');
postgres=> SELECT * FROM dblink('con1', 'some query written in remote
syntax') as t(/* record type definition */...);

This provides a way to execute query without defining foreign table.
--
Shigeru HANADA