Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shigeru Hanada
Subject Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've not read whole of the patch yet, but I have basic questions.

1) IIUC, GetForeignRelSize should set baserel->rows to the number of
rows the ForeignScan node returns to upper node, but not the number
of rows FDW returns to core executor, right?

BTW, once Fujita-san's ANALYZE support patch is merged, we will be
able to get rows estimatation easily by calling clauselist_selectivity
with baserel->tuples and baserestrictinfo.  Otherwise, pgsql_fdw
would still need to execute EXPLAIN on remote side to get meaningful
rows estimation.

2) ISTM that pgsql_fdw needs to execute EXPLAIN on remote side for each
possible remote query to get meaningful costs estimation, and it
requires pgsql_fdw to generate SQL statements in GetForeignPaths.
I worry that I've misunderstood intention of your design because
you've mentioned postponing SQL deparsing to createplan time.

I'll read the document  and patch, and fix pgsql_fdw so that it can
work with new API.  As for now, I think that pgsqlPlanForeignScan
should be separated like below:

GetForeignRelSize
1) Retrieve catalog infomation via GetForeignFoo funcitons.
2) Generate simple remote query which has no WHERE clause.
3) Execute EXPLAIN of simple query, and get rows and costs estimation.
4) Set baserel->rows.

All information above are stored in baserel->fdw_private to use them
in subsequent GetForeignPaths.

If ANALYZE of foreign tables is supported, we can postpone 2) and 3)
to GetForeignPaths.

GetForeignPaths
1) Repeat for each possible remote query:
1-1) Generate remote query, such as with-WHERE and with-ORDER BY.
1-2) Execute EXPLAIN of generated query, and get costs estimation
(rows estimation is ignored because it's useless in planning).
1-3) Call add_path and create_foreignscan_path for the query.

GetForeignPlan
1) Create fdw_exprs from baserestrictinfo, with removing clauses
which are pushed down by selected path.

Regards,
--
Shigeru Hanada