Re: missing locking in at least INSERT INTO view WITH CHECK - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dean Rasheed
Subject Re: missing locking in at least INSERT INTO view WITH CHECK
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 23 October 2013 02:18, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using the same debugging hack^Wpatch (0001) as in the matview patch
> (0002) an hour or so ago I noticed that INSERT INTO view WITH CHECK
> doesn't lock the underlying relations properly.
>
> I've attached a sort-of-working (0003) hack but I really doubt it's the
> correct approach, I don't really know enough about that area of the
> code.
> This looks like something that needs to be fixed.

Hmm, my first thought is that rewriteTargetView() should be calling
AcquireRewriteLocks() on viewquery, before doing too much with it.
There may be sub-queries in viewquery's quals (and also now in its
targetlist) and I don't think the relations referred to by those
sub-queries are getting locked.

I think that any code that is doing anything significant with a rule
action's query needs to think about locking the query's relations. I
did a quick search and the only suspicious code I found was the
matview and auto-updatable view code.

Regards,
Dean