Re: BUG #14294: Problem in generate series between dates - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dean Rasheed
Subject Re: BUG #14294: Problem in generate series between dates
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 31 August 2016 at 23:07, Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:
> Some experimentation with creating
> pg_catalog.generate_series(date,date,integer) and trying the usual
> use-cases doesn't seem to turn up any issues. Looking at the list of
> implicit casts also doesn't suggest that there would be any problems.

Adding generate_series(date,date,integer) was attempted a recently
[1], but led to some ambiguities that broke some queries that
currently work. At the time the new function was presented merely as a
convenience to save having to cast results, but I think this
discussion adds more weight to the argument for such a function.
Perhaps adding generate_series(date,date,interval) might work.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/56EAB874.9040205%40pgmasters.net

Regards,
Dean