Re: cannot set view triggers to replica - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dean Rasheed
Subject Re: cannot set view triggers to replica
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 30 May 2015 at 03:47, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> It appears to be an omission that ALTER TABLE ... ENABLE TRIGGER and
> similar commands don't allow acting on views, even though we now have
> triggers on views.

It was deliberately omitted from the original INSTEAD OF triggers
patch because it didn't seem that useful (and to keep the patch size
down), see:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/AANLkTimJw47yZHnxKhMNLCFES=W-sMrqpRe7aj8YBKds@mail.gmail.com#AANLkTimJw47yZHnxKhMNLCFES=W-sMrqpRe7aj8YBKds@mail.gmail.com

That said, I have no objection to allowing it if you think it's likely
to be useful. I think you will need to work a little harder to make it
work properly though. Consider, for example, how
view_has_instead_trigger() and its callers, and CheckValidResultRel()
should behave if the triggers are disabled.

Regards,
Dean