Re: BUG #9371: pg_dump acquiring ROW EXCLUSIVE locks on tables - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dean Rasheed
Subject Re: BUG #9371: pg_dump acquiring ROW EXCLUSIVE locks on tables
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 27 February 2014 11:54,  <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> perhaps
> AcquireRewriteLocks() could be told that the query is not about to be run in
> this case, and that it should only acquire ACCESS SHARE locks on the
> tables.

Here's a patch for HEAD along those lines.

I've tested it on our production data and confirmed that with this
patch pg_dump no longer acquires exclusive locks. I think this should
be back-patched, since we do promise that pg_dump does not block other
readers or writers.

Regards,
Dean

Attachment