Re: Sending notifications from the master to the standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Sending notifications from the master to the standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11 January 2012 23:51, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> Yeah, upthread Simon pointed out that propagating notifies would be
>> useful for flushing caches in applications that watch the database in a
>> read-only fashion.  I grant that such a use-case is technically possible
>> within the limitations of a slave server; I'm just dubious that it's a
>> sufficiently attractive use-case to justify the complexity and future
>> maintenance costs of the sort of designs we are talking about.  Or in
>> other words: so far, cache invalidation is not the "first" use-case,
>> it's the ONLY POSSIBLE use-case.  That's not useful enough.
>
> Well, cache invalidation is a pretty common task; probably more than 50%
> of all database applications need to do it.

I agree that it would be nice to support this type of cache
invalidation - without commenting on the implementation, I think that
the concept is very useful, and of immediate benefit to a significant
number of people.