Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 26 November 2012 13:07, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> None of those patches were small patches.  It's going to take multiple
> years to get materialized views up to a state where they're really
> useful to a broad audience in production applications, but I don't
> think we should sneer at anyone for writing a patch that is "just
> syntactic sugar".

+1. I have a sweet tooth. I don't like it when people criticise
patches on the basis of "obviously you could achieve the same effect
with $CONVOLUTION". Making things simpler is a desirable outcome. Now,
that isn't to say that we should disregard everything or even anything
else in pursuit of simplicity; just that "needing a Ph.D is
Postgresology", as you once put it, to do something routine to many is
really hard to defend.

--
Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/