Re: wCTE cannot be used to update parent inheritance table - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: wCTE cannot be used to update parent inheritance table
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 29 January 2012 20:52, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Seems like a lot of make-work. =A0The fact that it's got an XX000 SQLSTATE
> is already sufficient confirmation that the problem is an internal one,
> if the DBA isn't sure about that already.

I'm not worried about the DBA not being able to figure that out - it
seems like they'd stand a pretty good chance of figuring it out
quickly once they were aware of the problem. Rather, I share Robert's
concern:

On 23 November 2011 02:49, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no sort of systematic labeling of error messages in the log
> to enable the DBA to figure out that the first error message is likely
> nothing more serious than an integrity constraint doing its bit to
> preserve data integrity, while the second is likely a sign of
> impending disaster.

Is it really that much of a problem to create a new severity level for
this stuff?

--=20
Peter Geoghegan =A0 =A0 =A0 http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/