Re: Why do we still perform a check for pre-sorted input within qsort variants? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Why do we still perform a check for pre-sorted input within qsort variants?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8 March 2013 11:48, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 07:43:10PM +0000, Dann Corbit wrote:
>> I seem to recall that a year or two back some study was done on
>> quicksort methodology as used in PostgreSQL.  As I recall, the
>> algorithm used in PostgreSQL fared well in the tests.
>
> Well, that's good to hear.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that. We're not the only ones that
use (more or less) that same algorithm. I noticed that Redis does so
too, just for example (though they didn't get wise to the problems
with the "swap_cnt" pessimisation).

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan