Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10 April 2012 14:33, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, should we make the new columns exposed by pg_stat_statements use
> milliseconds, so that the block read/write timings are everywhere in
> milliseconds, or should we keep them as a float8, so that all the
> times exposed by pg_stat_statements use float8?

I believe that we should keep them as float8, on the basis that a user
is more likely to generalise from total_time's format (when writing a
script to query the view of whatever) than from that of
pg_stat_database.

A part of me would like to change the view definitions so that all the
columns are strongly typed (i.e. all these values would be intervals).
I realise that that isn't practical though.