Re: Checksums, state of play - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Checksums, state of play
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7 March 2012 20:56, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Yep, good summary.  Giving ourselves a few months to think about it and
> consider other failure cases will make this a great 9.3 addition.

Recent Intel processors that support SSE 4.2, including those based on
the core microarchitecture, can calculate a CRC-32C in hardware using
a higher level instruction, similar to the AES related instructions
that Intel chips have had for some time now. Perhaps we should
consider using hardware acceleration where available.

Some interesting details are available from here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/292984/