Re: Create option to hide WITH OIDS=FALSE, if OID is disabled - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Robins Tharakan
Subject Re: Create option to hide WITH OIDS=FALSE, if OID is disabled
Date
List pgadmin-hackers

On 9 November 2014 23:50, David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
Guillaume Lelarge-3 wrote

> tharakan@

> &gt;:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a ping to check if adding this minor feature is okay.
>>
>> When the SQL is generated in the ObjectBrowser->SQLPane (for a table), it
>> adds OIDS = FALSE, by default. I think that for a while, this has been
>> irrelevant (unless of course the table actually has OIDs enabled).
>>
>> Hope its okay to add a Check box in Options->Browser->UI Miscellaneous
>> (Show if OIDS = FALSE) that allows a user to disable this part of the
>> SQL.
>>
>> To confirm,
>> - OIDS = TRUE would also show up, irrespective of the value of this
>> check-box
>> - For now, the Check-Box would be enabled by default
>>
>> Let me know if this isn't a great idea.
>>

> It'd be better to not have the checkbox, and rely on the value of the
> default_with_oids GUC.

IIRC this logic was recently addressed and introduced to psql and should
probably be mirrored in pgAdmin.

David J.

​Thanks David / Guillaume,

I'll begin work mimicking psql.

However, looks like psql doesn't refer to the Configuration (default_with_oids) at all. It just prints 'WITH OIDS' if the table has enabled OIDS, or none if otherwise. (see psql output attached)

On the other hand, I was assuming the following should be how its done (but psql differs on 4th line).

- Default_with_oids (off) + table WITH OIDS => Show WITH OIDS
- Default_with_oids (off) + table WITHOUT OIDS => {Show nothing}
- Default_with_oids (on) + table WITH OIDS => Show WITH OIDS
- Default_with_oids (on) + table WITHOUT OIDS => Show WITHOUT OIDS
--
Robins Tharakan

Attachment