Re: [ADMIN] Best system for a data warehouse application - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Steven Chang
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Best system for a data warehouse application
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello,

   One of the 9.6 new features is "Parallel Query".
   Therefore , in my view more cores do favor your dataware house system.
   My concern is the share buffer usage.
   By my experience in 9.2 , 8.3 and 8.4 and ever consulting EDB technical support,
   do no set share_buffer over 8GB, the more the setting, the more memory you are wasting.
   Postgres mostly count on file system cache for I/O performance.
   However, multiprocess access the same data do need share memory to co-work.
   If share buffer ages out, postgres still page in data from OS cache.
   Though memory access is much faster than DISK I/O, it still triggers some overhead.
   Greg also stats the same situation in his own book , high performance 9.
   pg_prewarm and pgfincore do give some more control on memory management.
   But I still concern the postgres share memory management when taking care of large amount of data.

   Can anyone in postgres kernel development team gives comments or advices ??

Best Regards,
Steven

You could use pg_upgrade utility.

Regards.