[pgsql-pkg-debian] pgpool2 vs postgresql-9.4-pgpool2 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Steven Chang
Subject [pgsql-pkg-debian] pgpool2 vs postgresql-9.4-pgpool2
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
hello,

   My OS Platform is Jessie.
   I am studying pgpool2 , but I am confused .
   Could you please tell me the differences between the following 2 packages.

pgpool2/stable 3.3.4-1 amd64
  connection pool server and replication proxy for PostgreSQL

postgresql-9.4-pgpool2/stable 3.3.4-1 amd64
  connection pool server and replication proxy for PostgreSQL - modules

 apt show pgpool2/stable 3.3.4-1 amd64  output :

 pgpool-II is a middleware that works between PostgreSQL servers and a
 PostgreSQL database client. It provides the following features:
 .
  * Connection Pooling
  * Replication
  * Load Balance
  * Limiting Exceeding Connections
  * Parallel Query
 .
 pgpool-II talks PostgreSQL's backend and frontend protocol, and relays a
 connection between them. Therefore, a database application (frontend) thinks
 that pgpool-II is the actual PostgreSQL server, and the server (backend) sees
 pgpool-II as one of its clients. Because pgpool-II is transparent to both the
 server and the client, an existing database application can be used with
 pgpool-II almost without a change to its sources.
 .
 This is version 3 of pgpool-II, the second generation of pgpool.

apt show postgresql-9.4-pgpool2/stable 3.3.4-1 amd64  output :
 pgpool-II is a middleware that works between PostgreSQL servers and a
 PostgreSQL database client.  This package contains support modules for
 the PostgreSQL 9.4 server:
 .
  * pgpool_adm
  * pgpool_recovery (PostgreSQL 9.1 and above)
  * pgpool_regclass (PostgreSQL 9.1 and above)

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Steven