Re: Does "pg_ctl stop" wait for archiving to complete? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Does "pg_ctl stop" wait for archiving to complete?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, Nov  7, 2014 at 07:09:14AM +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Le 6 nov. 2014 21:59, "Mitchell Bösecke" <mitchell.bosecke@forcorp.com> a écrit
> :
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > My understanding is that when postgresql is shutdown it triggers a checkpoint
> which triggers the archiving of completed tx logs. Will the "pg_ctl stop"
> command wait for archiving to complete or is the act of archiving completely
> asynchronous from the shutdown process?
> >

> Nope, it doesn't wait for archiving.

Uh, are you sure about that?  I thought we did wait during shutdown
unless -W was used in pg_ctl stop.

Sorry for the very very late reply. I just checked, and you're definitely right. In fast mode, we wait for the WAL to be archived, unless -W was used.

Sorry about this, and thanks for fixing my mistake.