Re: Postgres 8.3 Grant all on database or schema - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Postgres 8.3 Grant all on database or schema
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Le mer. 7 nov. 2018 à 09:59, Saikumar <saikumar1@spgroup.com.sg> a écrit :

Dear Sir,

I am quite new the Postgre DB and working as DBA.

I wanted to set the grant all permissions on the database to the role.

Whatever the user assign to this role should inherits the same permissions on the database tables. To achieve this scenarios, I have executed below steps.

              GRANT ALL ON database RM to RM_ADMIN_ROLE;

                create user junkai;

                ALTER ROLE junkai WITH LOGIN;

                grant RM_ADMIN_ROLE to junkai;

I login using junkai, and try to access the tables, its giving the error as permission denied error.

If I grant the same access on table level, it’s working. I have hundreds of tables in the schema. I can’t grant the permissions on table level.

I have check in the internet, all suggesting same as above. When I run the above commands, it’s not throwing any error all says granted. When I do select, It’s not allowing to fetch the data.

Could you please help why it’s not working as expected?

It's working as expected. When you GRANT ALL on a database, you give this role CREATE, TEMP and CONNECT privilege to this database (IOW, all privileges related to a database object). It doesn't give any privilege to objects inside this database. On a 8.3, you'll have to give privileges table per table. On a more recent release, you would be able to do it schema by schema. Usually, people use scripts to do this when they have a lot of tables.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.