Re: Exporting Table-Specified BLOBs Only? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Exporting Table-Specified BLOBs Only?
Date
List pgadmin-support

Is any Developer looking at this issue?

AFAICT, you want a new feature for pg_dump, not from pgAdmin. So you should ask on pgsql-hackers, not pgadmin-support. And I don't think anyone is working on this.

From: pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Braunstein, Alan
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 1:05 PM
To: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] Exporting Table-Specified BLOBs Only?

Fundamental issue:

PostgreSQL is different than Oracle in how it stores BLOBs

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/catalog-pg-largeobject.html.

In PostgreSQL …

In the particular tables BLOBS are stored as OID’s (unique numbers).

There is one table for all BLOB data (see pg_largeobject under Catalogs/PostgreSQL/pg_largeobject in pgadmin tree). It stores colums “OID/pageno/actual binary data (page)”.

What do I need?

A method of using pg_dump to selectively export BLOBs with OID’s used in the tables specified with --table <table_name1> --table <table_name2>

I have four tables containing BLOBs I want to export w/o the BLOB data – that’s easy.

What I also want is the remaining 200+ tables exported with THEIR BLOB entries, if any, but NOT one BLOB from the four tables explicitly not specified in pg_dump command; so JUST the BLOBs associated to any of the 200+ tables I do specify.

Thanks!

Alan