Re: Deleting takes days, should I add some index? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Deleting takes days, should I add some index?
Date
List pgsql-general
Le ven. 27 nov. 2020 à 16:05, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> a écrit :
On 2020-Nov-27, Alexander Farber wrote:

> Referenced by:
>     TABLE "words_chat" CONSTRAINT "words_chat_gid_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (gid)
> REFERENCES words_games(gid) ON DELETE CASCADE
>     TABLE "words_moves" CONSTRAINT "words_moves_gid_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (gid)
> REFERENCES words_games(gid) ON DELETE CASCADE
>     TABLE "words_scores" CONSTRAINT "words_scores_gid_fkey" FOREIGN KEY
> (gid) REFERENCES words_games(gid) ON DELETE CASCADE

Make sure you have indexes on the gid columns of these tables.  Delete
needs to scan them in order to find the rows that are cascaded to.

An index on words_games(finished) and words_moves(played) would help too.

--
Guillaume.