Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive
Date
List pgsql-general
* David G. Johnston (david.g.johnston@gmail.com) wrote:
> Given the amount of damage a person with write access to a table can get
> into it seems pointless to not allow them to analyze the table after their
> updates - since best practices would say that normal work with a table
> should not be performed by an owner.
>
> I should the check for whether a given user can or cannot analyze a table
> should be whether the user has INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE privileges.

Realistically, ANALYZE is a background/maintenance task that autovacuum
should be handling for you.

Realistically, that can't happen every time. Think of temporary tables for example...

> I suppose row-level-security might come into play here...

Yes, you may only have access to a subset of the table.

If we had plenty more bits to allow ANALYZE to be independently
GRANT'able, then maybe, but those are a limited resource.

Agreed.