Re: [ADMIN] Standby WAL Cleanup? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Standby WAL Cleanup?
Date
List pgsql-admin
I'm following through the workflow from primary to standby in our environment. However the one thing I can't seem to find is how WAL files are cleaned up from $PGDATA/pg_xlog once they are no longer needed on the standby.

The standby has archive_cleanup_command calling pg_archivecleanup to remove files from the incoming archive directory. My understanding is that files from there are restored to the pg_xlog directory via the restore_command, which jives with what I see in pg_xlog.

However something is cleaning up files from pg_xlog and I don't see any parameter command or cron job that does so. My documentation and list archive searching has come up empty so I thought I'd bug you guys yet again.

TL;DR: What cleans up restored WAL files from pg_xlog when they are no longer needed?

The server removes the WAL files it doesn't need anymore, weither it is a primary (after a checkpoint) or a secondary node (after a restartpoint). That's just part of the usual process.

--
Guillaume.