Re: Major Version Upgradation in Replication Environment - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Major Version Upgradation in Replication Environment
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, May  5, 2016 at 03:59:00PM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> :
>

>     Hello Friends,
>

>                             We have a windows setup where we have 2 node
>     primary-slave setup which comprises Async Replication + Log Shippin on slave.
>

>     Now we want to upgrade it from 9.3 to 9.4 version.
>

>     Do we need to upgrade slave to 9.4, upgrade master to 9.4 and setup replication
>     again from scratch?
>

> Just upgrade master to 9.4, install 9.4 on slave, and setup replication again.
>

>     What are the best possible ways available to upgrade slave and master without
>     setting up replication again?
>

> You can't.

Actually, the 9.5 pg_upgrade docs have in insructions on how upgrade a
slave without recreating the slave image, and it works back to 9.1:

        http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/pgupgrade.html
        Upgrade Streaming Replication and Log-Shipping standby servers

Well, you still have to rsync the data directory (and all tablespaces' directories). Though I agree you don't literaly have to do a complete setup.

Thanks for the clarification.