Re: Publish autovacuum informations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Publish autovacuum informations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'd be all right with putting the data structure declarations in a file
> named something like autovacuum_private.h, especially if it carried an
> annotation that "if you depend on this, don't be surprised if we break
> your code in future".

Works for me.  I am not in general surprised when we do things that
break my code, or anyway, the code that I'm responsible for
maintaining.  But I think it makes sense to segregate this into a
separate header file so that we are clear that it is only exposed for
the benefit of extension authors, not so that other things in the core
system can touch it.

I'm fine with that too. I'll try to find some time to work on that.

So I took a look at this this week. I discovered, with the help of a coworker, that I can already use the AutoVacuumShmem pointer and read the struct. Unfortunately, it doesn't give me as much details as I would have liked. The list of databases and tables aren't in shared memory. They are local to the process that uses them. Putting them in shared memory (if at all possible) would imply a much bigger patch than I was willing to write right now.

Thanks anyway for the help.