Re: BUG #13841: Unable to set autocommit in psql - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: BUG #13841: Unable to set autocommit in psql
Date
List pgsql-bugs

> > > Though when referencing the documentation in a report like this it
> > > is
> > > generally helpful to provide a link to said documentation so it at
> > > least
> > > can be checked.
> >
> > Indeed.  "set autocommit to off" hasn't been supported since PG 7.3,
> > more
> > than ten years ago.  So if there's still some documentation somewhere
> > recommending that, we really need to find and fix it.
> >
> >                       regards, tom lane
>

> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> If you search for "autocommit" in the 9.5rc1 doco the first entry
> displayed takes you to:-
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/ecpg-sql-set-autocommit.html
>
> and as "set" is bog standard SQL syntax I thought you could use it
> within a psql session.

Well, the page clearly says that "SET AUTOCOMMIT is an extension of
PostgreSQL ECPG.".

> However, as David pointed out you need to use \set.
> Using \set works fine.

Good to hear.

> After perusing the psql doco there is mention there of using a .psqlrc
> file to hold psql session variables but I have yet to find any doco
> describing the syntax of this file.
> Nor can I find a file named psqlrc, as both are mentioned in the psql
> doco.

The .psqlrc file can contain any meta commands (\something) or SQL commands.

> So, maybe initdb needs to create a dummy psqlrc file which users can
> alter for global useage or copy over to their $HOME directory and alter
> it for personal use.

I don't think so. And there's already one in the "share" directory (search
for a psqlrc.sample file).

--
Guillaume.
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info