Re: question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: question
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/15/2015 01:35 PM, anj patnaik wrote:
Hello all,
I will experiment with -Fc (custom). The file is already growing very large.

I am running this:
./pg_dump -t RECORDER  -Fc postgres |  gzip > /tmp/dump

Are there any other options for large tables to run faster and occupy
less disk space?

Yes, do not double compress. -Fc already compresses the file.

Right. But I'd say "use custom format but do not compress with pg_dump". Use the -Z0 option to disable compression, and use an external multi-threaded tool such as pigz or pbzip2 to get faster and better compression.