Re: pg_dump's aborted transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: pg_dump's aborted transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> All,
>   We recently had a client complain that check_postgres' commitratio
>   check would alert about relatively unused databases.  As it turns
>   out, the reason for this is because they automate running pg_dump
>   against their databases (surely a good thing..), but pg_dump doesn't
>   close out its transaction cleanly, leading to rolled back
>   transactions.

>   At first blush, at least, this strikes me as an oversight which we
>   should probably fix and possibly backpatch.

No, somebody should fix check_postgres to count rollbacks as well as
commits as activity (as they obviously are).

Well, actually, no. This is a commit ratio, not an activity counter, not even a transactions count.

The formula right now is:

round(100.*sd.xact_commit/(sd.xact_commit+sd.xact_rollback), 2)

which, AFAICT, is correct.

The fact that the OP uses it to know if there's activity on his databases can get him false positives if he has no actual activity, except for dumps.

I might be wrong, but there is nothing to fix on the check_postgres (at least, for this issue ;) ). The expectation of this user is to fix :)

This is not an oversight, it's 100% intentional.  The reason pg_dump
aborts rather than commits is to make entirely sure that it does not
commit any changes to the database.  I would be against removing that
safety feature, considering that pg_dump is typically run as superuser.
We have frequently worried about security exploits that involve hijacking
superuser activities, and this behavior provides at least a small
increment of safety against such holes.

+1