LibreOffice Base Connect to postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mike
Subject LibreOffice Base Connect to postgresql
Date
List pgsql-novice
I understand my question is not directly related to postgresql; but,
I'm hoping someone else has used libreoffice base to connect to, and
query postgres databases.

I have a very simple database.
It resides on my notebook computer running Fedora 27.
postgres --version
postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.6.6

The name of the database is "joe" and it owned by user "joe."

I open libreoffice base and use the database wizard.
I choose Connect To An Existing Database and from the drop-down menu
choose "PostgresSQL" and click NEXT.
Then, under Connection Settings, I type in -
postgresql://localhost:5432/home/joe and click NEXT.
Then I provide the user authentication - User Name:  joe

I then click FINISH and always receive error ---

The connection to the data source "New Database" could not be established.
Couldn't establish database connection to
'sdbc:postgresql:postgresql://localhost:5432/home/joe
FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "joe"

However, joe is a configured user and owner of database "joe."
I'm simply stuck and can't figure out the cause of the failed authentication.
Is there a better/simpler/easier app I can use or try to connect to,
and manage this postgres database.
I want to expand it and rely more heavily on it, but cannot do all my
select, update, and insert via psql interface --- I constantly have to
rely on cheat sheets and command history scrolling.
Got to be a better way.

Thank you for reading.

Mike