Re: possible race condition in trigger functions on insert operations? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Tilton
Subject Re: possible race condition in trigger functions on insert operations?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Andreas Kretschmer
<akretschmer@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Kenneth Tilton <ktilton@mcna.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Andreas Kretschmer
>> <akretschmer@spamfence.net> wrote:

>> > If i where you, i would not use such a column. What happens if you
>> > insert/delete a record?
>>
>> We only do logical deletes. Not sure what you mean about inserts --
>
> inserts that change the numbering...
>

>> that is what I am working on, and they always should get the next
>> highest sequence number in a year.
>>

>> > I would use something like to_char(row_number() over (...),'FM000') to
>> > count while select.
>>
>> Unfortunately it must be within the year, not overall.
>
> That is not a problem - over (...) with, for instance, PARTITION BY ...

Ah, OK, I did not understand what they meant by "partition" when I
checked out row_number. I'll give that a try.

First Q: does  a row have a row_number at the time of insert/before?
Or will I be updating the row in the insert/after? I should know
soon... :)

-kenneth