binary version of pg_current_wal_insert_lsn and pg_walfile_name functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Sharma
Subject binary version of pg_current_wal_insert_lsn and pg_walfile_name functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi All,

Currently, we have pg_current_wal_insert_lsn and pg_walfile_name sql
functions which gives us information about the next wal insert
location and the WAL file that the next wal insert location belongs
to. Can we have a binary version of these sql functions? It would be
like any other binaries we have for e.g. pg_waldump to which we can
pass the location of the pg_wal directory. This binary would scan
through the directory to return the next wal insert location and the
wal file the next wal insert pointer belongs to.

The binary version of these sql functions can be used when the server
is offline. This can help us to know the overall WAL data that needs
to be replayed when the server is in recovery. In the control file we
do have the redo pointer. Knowing the end pointer would definitely be
helpful.

If you are ok then I will prepare a patch for it and share it. Please
let me know your thoughts/comments. thank you.!

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma.