Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Sharma
Subject Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)
Date
In response to Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)  (Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)  (Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
+/* Kinds of checkpoint (as advertised via PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND) */
+#define PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_WAL                0
+#define PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_TIME               1
+#define PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_FORCE              2
+#define PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_UNKNOWN            3

On what basis have you classified the above into the various types of
checkpoints? AFAIK, the first two types are based on what triggered
the checkpoint (whether it was the checkpoint_timeout or maz_wal_size
settings) while the third type indicates the force checkpoint that can
happen when the checkpoint is triggered for various reasons e.g. .
during createb or dropdb etc. This is quite possible that both the
PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_TIME and PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_FORCE flags
are set for the checkpoint because multiple checkpoint requests are
processed at one go, so what type of checkpoint would that be?

+        */
+       if ((flags & (CHECKPOINT_IS_SHUTDOWN |
CHECKPOINT_END_OF_RECOVERY)) == 0)
+       {
+
pgstat_progress_start_command(PROGRESS_COMMAND_CHECKPOINT,
InvalidOid);
+               checkpoint_progress_update_param(flags,
PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_PHASE,
+
          PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_PHASE_INIT);
+               if (flags & CHECKPOINT_CAUSE_XLOG)
+                       checkpoint_progress_update_param(flags,
PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND,
+
                  PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_WAL);
+               else if (flags & CHECKPOINT_CAUSE_TIME)
+                       checkpoint_progress_update_param(flags,
PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND,
+
                  PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_TIME);
+               else if (flags & CHECKPOINT_FORCE)
+                       checkpoint_progress_update_param(flags,
PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND,
+
                  PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_FORCE);
+               else
+                       checkpoint_progress_update_param(flags,
PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND,
+
                  PROGRESS_CHECKPOINT_KIND_UNKNOWN);
+       }
+}

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma.

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 12:23 PM Nitin Jadhav
<nitinjadhavpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > We need at least a trace of the number of buffers to sync (num_to_scan) before the checkpoint start, instead of
justemitting the stats at the end.

> > > Bharat, it would be good to show the buffers synced counter and the total buffers to sync, checkpointer pid,
substepit is running, whether it is on target for completion, checkpoint_Reason

> > > (manual/times/forced). BufferSync has several variables tracking the sync progress locally, and we may need some
refactoringhere.