Re: [External] Re: xmin and very high number of concurrent transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vijaykumar Jain
Subject Re: [External] Re: xmin and very high number of concurrent transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
no i mean not we end users, postgres does it (?) via the xmin and xmax
fields  from inherited tables :) if that is what you wanted in a why
or are you asking, does postgres even update those rows and i am wrong
assuming it that way?

since the values need to be atomic,
consider the below analogy
assuming i(postgres) am person giving out token to
people(connections/tx) in a queue.
if there is a single line, (sequential) then it is easy for me to
simply give them 1 token incrementing the value and so on.
but if there are thousands of users in parallel lines, i am only one
person delivering the token, will operate sequentially, and the other
person is "blocked" for sometime before it gets the token with the
required value.
so if there are 1000s or users with the "delay" may impact my
performance  coz i need to maintain the value of the token to be able
to know what token value i need to give to next person?

i do not know if am explaining it correctly, pardon my analogy,

Regards,
Vijay