multiple nodes in FDW create server statement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vijaykumar Jain
Subject multiple nodes in FDW create server statement
Date
List pgsql-general
All,

We are glad that we have this feature that allows us to load balance reads. that has helped us a lot.
https://paquier.xyz/postgresql-2/postgres-10-multi-host-connstr/

I would like to know if it is possible to request a similar enhancement to FDWs too?
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-createserver.html

unless i am missing something obvious, we wanted to use this option when one of the read instances are down when there is a FDW query for reads.
the second instance is only a fallback, not round robin. and we have 2 foreign servers, one for write and one for reads.

although they are marked by cnames, so its just a matter of cname switch, but that takes some time for propagation and requires someone to be near the machine.

i guess the concerns would be if primary is down, the writes would be directed to another set of servers which may end up in confusing errors.

pgtesting=> create table foo(id int);

ERROR:  cannot execute CREATE TABLE in a read-only transaction

pgtesting=> \q

Let me know if this is not clear.

Regards,
Vijay