Re: [pgadmin-support] Serious feedback and questions about the futureof pgAdmin. - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Shira Bezalel
Subject Re: [pgadmin-support] Serious feedback and questions about the futureof pgAdmin.
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi Dave.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 1:38 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Jack Royal-Gordon <jackrg@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, I appreciate your tone of constructive criticism — there has been way
> too much negative criticism on this topic. However, as another user who has
> his own experiences with pgAdmin4, I feel compelled to reply regarding some
> of your complaints — please see my comments below.

+1. Thanks Jack.

> I don’t doubt that you are experiencing this, but I do not experience
> increased sluggishness vs. pgAdmin III at all. The difference, I believe, is
> that I am running OS X on a Mac, instead of Windows 10. So this may be a
> program tuning problem regarding Windows 10, or it may just be that the
> browser rendering in Windows 10 is poor for what the developers are doing.
> Either way, this can be a clue as to how to address this issue.
>
> Question for the Developers: Are you all using Windows as your main testing
> platform, or are most of you users of other platforms? If you’re not using
> Windows, then that may account for the poor performance in Windows — since
> most “business” work is done on Windows, it behooves you to focus on Windows
> performance primarily (I say this even though I was thrilled to get off
> Windows for so many reasons).

All of the EDB team use either Mac or Linux (on a VM on Mac)
primarily. I believe the Pivotal team are all Mac users as well.

That said, I have been doing a fair bit of testing on Windows over the
last week - but have failed to reproduce the extremes of slowness I've
seen reported. For example, one user said he was using a modern quad
core machine with 16GB RAM and SSD disk, and saw 1 minute+ startup
times. I could only get close to this on a 10 year old Dell Optiplex
740 with a dual core AMD CPU, 6GB RAM and a spinning disk where I was
seeing about 50 seconds to startup.

On a 4GB, 2 core VM running on my Mac, I see ~20 seconds following a
couple of tweaks I committed over the weekend, and oddly on a quad
core i7 with 16GB and SSD, I'm seeing much the same startup time - so,
not as fast as it ideally should be, but also nothing like as slow as
some have reported.

My testing so far is indicating that the slow part is QtWebEngine, the
embedded Qt browser that's used in the runtime. Google shows that
other users have also found this to be slow on Windows. Unfortunately
I've yet to find a better option to replace it. This has been bourn
out by other users who have reported much improved performance by
running the server from the command line and connecting with a
browser.

That said, we're continuing to look at how performance there might be
improved, as well as in other areas; for example, we're working on
eliminating JS/CSS templates in the backend in favour of static files
(which Ashesh has almost finished). That will minimise the amount of
backend processing done when loading code. We'll also be webpacking
the JS/CSS code to massively reduce the number of round trips the
client makes to the server to load everything. This should also
eliminate the "first-click delay" seen when opening some treeview
nodes for the first time that occurs when it on-demand loads the
required code.

So I guess my main question here is; what is different about the OPs
"*very* powerful and modern x86 workstation" that makes pgAdmin run so
slowly on it? My first guess is anti-virus software. My machines all
use Windows Defender, but perhaps something else is slowing down
things (pgAdmin does have a lot of files to access). Perhaps adding
the pgAdmin installation directory to the AV package's exclude list
would help.

On my Win10 machine, I just disabled the anti-virus software then timed how long it took for pgAdmin 4 v1.5 to open when my machine was fairly idle.

It took 33 seconds. Re-enabled AV and it took the same amount of time to open.

Systems specs:

Windows Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
16.0 GB RAM with about 11 GB free at the time of launching pgAdmin 4
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

​Let me know if there are other tests or information that would be helpful. I want to support the success of pgAdmin 4.

Thank you,​
Shira

> I have this same problem with pgAdmin III. 4 would not connect with my local
> server (where I have the empty password), so I cannot say if 4 has this
> issue.

I do not. pgAdmin 3 and 4 both remember my passwords just fine.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company