Re: Hot standby & SR - log shipping required? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jov
Subject Re: Hot standby & SR - log shipping required?
Date
List pgsql-general
he log shipping is useful when SR slave can not catch up the master and hungry enough to cause replication stop work.For example,when you want to stop the slave for a long time or do a large copy from,the wal_keep_segments on master reached,SR slave may not catch up the master.If log shipping is on,the slave will replay the WAL from archives,when catch up,RS will start again.

2013/9/14 Ray Stell <stellr@vt.edu>

On Sep 13, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>  [1] and one of the wiki
> articles [2] seem to indicate that you need to set up log-shipping as
> well as SR, whereas one of the wiki articles [2] indicates that
> log-shipping isn't required. I've followed [3] and it seems to work fine
> in initial trials; but I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or if I
> misunderstood [1] + [2] in the first place.

Streaming replication works fine without log shipping.  The logs are a good idea
in case a pitr becomes required.   I don't know why one would ever not write the
archives, but I have done so.  I think it was some silly, temporary disk space issue
I had to work around.