Re: PG-Strom - A GPU optimized asynchronous executor module - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kohei KaiGai
Subject Re: PG-Strom - A GPU optimized asynchronous executor module
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2012/1/23 Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp> wrote:
>
>> I tried to implement a fdw module that is designed to utilize GPU
>> devices to execute
>> qualifiers of sequential-scan on foreign tables managed by this module.
>>
>> It was named PG-Strom, and the following wikipage gives a brief
>> overview of this module.
>>    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGStrom
>>
>> In our measurement, it achieves about x10 times faster on
>> sequential-scan with complex-
>> qualifiers, of course, it quite depends on type of workloads.
>
> Very cool. Someone's been busy.
>
> I see you've introduced 3 new features here at same time
> * GPU access
> * column store
> * compiled WHERE clauses
>
> It would be useful to see if we can determine which of those gives the
> most benefit and whether other directions emerge.
>
> Also, the query you mention is probably the best performing query you
> can come up with. It looks like a GIS query, yet isn't. Would it be
> possible to run tests on the TPC-H suite and do a full comparison of
> strengths/weaknesses so we can understand the breadth of applicability
> of the techniques.

DBT-2 is a good alternative, even though TPC-H is expensive to run.

> This is a very interesting line of discussion, but please can we hold
> off further posts about it until after the CF is over?

Yep, I agree.
We should handle existing patches first, then new features of v9.3.

I'll back to review the pgsql_fdw.

Thanks,
--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>