Re: Should array_length() Return NULL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: Should array_length() Return NULL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17 March 2013 06:27, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> What I'm concerned about here is whether these expressions shouldn't
> be yielding different data values:
>

> Right now, if we did make them produce what they appear to mean, the
> array I/O functions would have a problem with representing the results:
>

> So I think we'd need to fix that before we could go very far in this
> direction.

I agree.  I am starting to work on that very thing.

I noticed that there are a whole bunch of errmsgs in ArrayCount and
ReadArrayStr that just say "malformed array literal" with no detail
message at all.  Not very helpful.  I'm tempted to improve that on my
way past.

Cheers,
BJ