Re: How to determine offending column for insert exceptions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Shawn Gennaria
Subject Re: How to determine offending column for insert exceptions
Date
List pgsql-sql
1) 9.4

2) Everything is contained in a single stored plpgsql function with multiple transaction blocks to allow me to debug each stage of the process.

3) I'm currently handling exceptions with generic 'WHEN OTHERS THEN' statements to spit out the SQLSTATE and SQLERRM values to help me figure out what's going on.  I intend to focus this with statements that catch the particular errors that would arise from trying to incorrectly coerce my text data into other data types.

I'm kind of surprised I haven't been able to find answers to this in google, though I did see someone else asked a similar question on stackoverflow 6 months ago but never got an answer.  The best thing I can think of right now is to query pg_attributes to find the column names for the temp_table I'm dealing with and then loop through each one attempting to find a hit on the value that I can see embedded in SQLERRM.