Re: BUG #15692: infinity loop - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alisher Aliev
Subject Re: BUG #15692: infinity loop
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Thanks for replying

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 14:43 Dean Rasheed, <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 11:04, Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org> wrote:

> > At last command PostgreSQL comming inside infinity loop.
>
> I have message "ERROR:  value overflows numeric format" very quickly for both 11.2 and HEAD versions.

Yeah, in any modern Postgres (9.6 or later) this calculation fails
with a numeric overflow in less than a millisecond for me. That's
consistent with the fact that numeric calculations were improved
somewhat in 9.6.

In older versions (9.0 - 9.5 inclusive), which includes 4 old
unsupported versions, it takes a little over a second to fail.
Certainly not an "infinity loop".

In really old versions (I tested 8.3 and 8.4) it does indeed appear to
go into an near-infinite loop, but frankly, anyone running 8.4 or
older has bigger problems.

Regards,
Dean