Re: DATE_PART('field', INTERVAL) not intuitive literal reading of interval - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Vladimir Svedov
Subject Re: DATE_PART('field', INTERVAL) not intuitive literal reading of interval
Date
List pgsql-docs

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 at 15:12, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 11:58:39PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 10:55:14AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50465632/postgresql-10-4-date-difference/50465676#50465676
>
> This is really a function of how interval computes months, days, and
> seconds from subtraction, which is outlined here:
>
>       https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-INTERVAL-INPUT
>
> I don't think adding something to the functions-datetime.html section
> makes sense.  For example, this returns 1:
>
>       SELECT extract(minutes from '1 hour 1 minute'::interval);
>        date_part
>       -----------
>                1

Thinking some more, I wonder if this behavior should be more clearly
documented:

        SELECT EXTRACT(hours from '80 minutes'::interval);
         date_part
        -----------
                 1

        SELECT EXTRACT(days from '80 hours'::interval);
         date_part
                 0

To me, this clearly shows the behavior of the months, days, and seconds
components.  I have developed the attached doc patch to mention this.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Yes, it covers my question great. Thank you