Re: What DBMS_LOCK? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: What DBMS_LOCK?
Date
List pgsql-novice

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Saret Sout <saretsout@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Community!

Do you know about DBMS_LOCK on oracle? What is the main purpose of it?
AFAIK, DBMS_LOCK in Oracle are used for taking locks on devices e.g. printer, screen etc.
How about postgresql ?Does postgresql has DBMS_LOCK?
Where do you want to use it? It was apt for those days when people did not had very powerful programming language and whole application was written within database.

If it doesn't have how can we implement like DBMS_LOCK in oracle? Please help me to explain this issue. Thank
Again can you explain if you need above feature?

If you looking for simple "explicit lock on object" here is the place to look for: