Re: Inserting into a master table with partitions does not return rows affected. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: Inserting into a master table with partitions does not return rows affected.
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 3:53 AM rverghese <riyav@hotmail.com> wrote:
I am moving towards a partitioned schema. I use a function to insert into the
table. If the INSERT fails because of duplicates I do an UPDATE. This works
fine currently on the non-partitioned table because I can use GET
DIAGNOSTICS to get the row count on the INSERT.

But when I use the Master table to insert into the partitions, GET
DIAGNOSTICS always returns 0. So there is no way of knowing whether a row
was inserted (I am catching the unique violation exception to do the
UPDATE).

If I were you, I would put the update logic in the Trigger Function which is used for doing the insert in specific partitions.
Of course I am not aware of the exact logic and scenario so it may not work best for you.

What is a good alternative? We are on 9.4, so the UPSERT is not yet
available to me.
There should be some way to know if data was inserted into the partition.

Thanks
RV