Re: Limiting user from changing its own attributes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: Limiting user from changing its own attributes
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:05 David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, April 10, 2015, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 12:57 AM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:

Yes either an upper bound to which users can set their own values to.

Upper is somewhat easier but currently the system would only recognize a global constraint.

Does it? Even though my work_mem in postgresql.conf is 1MB, the user can alter itself to set its own work_mem to 1GB. Or did I interpret your statement wrongly?

Pg_settings currently has an upper bound column - though it is a view and that value cannot be changed that I know of.

I guess that upper bound column is more of the limit that is imposed by system which you can have for a parameter i.e. the system imposed limit or valid range if values for a parameter. I don't think one can update that.

But if it could I suspect that whatever catalog you would change to affect it would only cause a global change.  There is no alter database, role, or postgresql way to change that value.

Oh ok... anyway of achieving that? There no EVENT trigger for "alter user"?

 David J.