Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue 12 Mar, 2019, 1:58 AM Adrian Klaver, <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 3/11/19 9:31 AM, Sonam Sharma wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
> Ours is retail company and the DB size is Max 30gb, currently we are
> using db2.

Things to consider:

1) Migration tools for DB2 --> MySQL/Postgresql. I have not done this,
so someone else will have to comment.

This will be fairly simple for a 30gb database if you can afford some downtime. I have some bit experience with this (DB2 9.7 to PostgreSQL). You can use db2look to export the DDL out and then do some minor modifications and run the SQL (more or less) as is on Postgres.

Use "db2 export" command to export data in CSV format (separate file for each table).

Use Postgres COPY command to copy data from CSV format.

Make sure that you set PostgreSQL client encoding to something that aligns with database codepage on DB2 and LC_LANG setting. If DB2 is hosted on AIX or Linux, avoid using a Windows client to fire db2 export. Migrating off from Windows could be tricky. The codepage and encoding issues might need a few retries to align. So pls test in UAT with prod like data sample.

2) The clients/frameworks/ORMs you use now to connect to the database.
Do they also work with Postgresql/MySQL?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Senior Solution Architect

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

36 Robinson Road, #14-04 City House, Singapore 068877

T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

Skype: sameer.ashnik |   M: +65 8110 0350