Re: Query regarding deadlock - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: Query regarding deadlock
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016, 9:45 a.m. Yogesh Sharma, <Yogesh1.Sharma@nectechnologies.in> wrote:
Dear All,

Thanks in advance.
I found below deadlock in postgresql logs.
I cannot change calling of REINDEX and insert query sequence because it is execute automatically through some cron script.

Does this mean that you reindex quite often based on a schedule. Personally I don't prefer that. To me it is like you are trying to fix something that is not broken.

Ideally reindex only what needs to be reindexed. I would not want to reindex a table in OLTP env.

ERROR:  deadlock detected
 DETAIL:  Process 2234 waits for AccessShareLock on relation 16459 of database 16385; blocked by process 4111.
 Process 4111 waits for ShareLock on relation 16502 of database 16385; blocked by process 2234.
 Process 2234: INSERT INTO table1 ( id , unique_id )VALUES( '1', '4')
 Process 4111: REINDEX TABLE table1

Could you please provide any solution to resolve this deadlock.

Regards,
Yogesh