Re: BUG #8450: pg_basebackup blocks until WAL archiving successful - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stuart Bishop
Subject Re: BUG #8450: pg_basebackup blocks until WAL archiving successful
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Heikki Linnakangas

> I can see why you'd want that, but it seems equally problematic to let
> pg_basebackup return, when the WAL files haven't been archived yet and you
> therefore don't in fact have valid, restorable backup yet. Have you
> considered using the --xlog-method=stream option, to include the WAL files
> in the backup? That will make your backups somewhat larger, as the WAL files
> are included, but in that mode pg_basebackup won't wait for the archival and
> the backup will be restorable even if archive_command is failing.

I'm supporting PG 9.1 at the moment so cannot rely on
--xlog-method=stream. I agree that the current behavior is for most
use cases better, and I think that the behavior I want should be
explicitly enabled with an option.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/