Re: Incorrect password when restarting a cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart Bishop
Subject Re: Incorrect password when restarting a cluster
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Hombakazi Cynthia Jozela
<hombakazij@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Community
>
> I am new in Postgresql, and I used a "one click graphic installer", and
> installed on Ubuntu and I need some assistance:
>
> I would like to be advised on what I need to do when restarting a cluster as
> I am getting a password error when I try to. These are the steps I took:
>
> hombakazi@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~$ sudo -i
> [sudo] password for hombakazi:
> root@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su
> root@hombakazi-VirtualBox:~# su - postgres
> $ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/scripts/serverctl.sh restart
> Please enter your password if requested.
> [sudo] password for postgres:
> Sorry, try again.
>
> So I don't understand whats going on because I know my postgres password and
> I use it to login and its working but here I get this error. What is it that
> I am not doing right? or I need to do.?

That is asking for a sudo password, so I think you can just run
'/opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/scripts/serverctl.sh restart' from your normal
account, without all the proceeding sudo and su commands.

Most people use the standard PostgreSQL packages with Ubuntu.
PostgreSQL 9.1 is available with a few clicks using the software
center with Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) and Ubuntu 13.04 (raring). If you
want PostgreSQL 9.2 or 9.3, you are currently best off installing
Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) and following the instructions at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/