Re: [HACKERS] psql - add ability to test whether a variable exists - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Corey Huinker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] psql - add ability to test whether a variable exists
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

Any colon prefixed syntax can be made to work because it is enough for the lexer to detect and handle... so

 :{defined varname}

may be an option, although I do not like the space much because it adds some fuzzyness in the lexer which has to process it. It is probably doable, though. I like having a "?" because there is a question. Other
suggestions somehow in line with your proposal could be
 :{?varname}
 :{varname?}
what do you think?

Here is a version with the :{?varname} syntax.

It looks much better for me.

Regards

Pavel

+1. Glad to have this feature. Any of the proposed syntaxes look good to me, with a slight preference for {?var}.